torsdag 25 oktober 2012

Beautiful, but windy



The first day after leaving Rijeka I took it slow and stopped after just 40 km. I found one of the few flat soft surfaces along the cost and had a relaxing day by the sea with a first swim in the water. If was really nice and something I had been looking forward to for a long time.
 The next morning I had breakfast next to the sea and in the warmth of the sun. Everything felt great and I continued on the road along the cost. But very soon the wind started getting worse and worse, and I was climbing a hill for more than 10 km in those conditions. At a couple of times I came to a complete standstill when the wind hit me. I thought about stopping for the day around lunch time but decided to keep on going. And after a while the wind calmed down and there were more downhill. But the next problem was finding somewhere to sleep because there are mostly rock everywhere and no good places for a tent. When it started to get late I found a campsite and decided to stay there for the night. It was completely empty and with two older people running the small campsite. They told me that there special price for me would be 70 kona(9eur). I thought that was a little expensive because it wasn’t a nice place and the ground was hard and not very nice for a tent. But I didn’t have the energy to continue looking after a hard day in the wind. So I put up my tent and went for a shower. But when there wasn’t even hot water I packed up my stuff, got my money back and got back on the road again. And for the first time since I was sick I rented a room for the night because it was dark outside and I couldn’t find somewhere for my tent. And for only twice as much as the campsite, I think it was worth it.
 The next day I was well rested and got back on the beautiful coast road again. And this day there weren’t as much wind and the road followed the coast without any big hills to climb. I cycled to Zadar where I had an invitation from a guy I got in contact with through warmshowers.org. And he had also invited two other cyclists. We had a great evening with some good food and some Champions League at a bar later. I’m staying here one more night before the tree of us will be cycling towards Split. 


Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar