fredag 4 januari 2013

White mountains



2013 started off with leaving Fethiye after spending a couple of comfortable days at a nice hotel there. Even though I feel more at home in a hostel or in the comfort of my tent it was nice and relaxing and a good place to wait out a few days of rain and to celebrate New Year’s Eve. When I cycled in to Fethiye it was raining badly and with all the clouds I didn’t see much of the views. But the morning I left there where blue skies to begin with and the view of the snow covered mountains was beautiful. 
At first I had planned to cycle to Patara and spend a night there. But I made good distance today and thought I could make it to Kas and check into a hostel there. I thought it would me a nice ride along the cost. It started with a big uphill and continued on beautiful road but on crappy surface. The road was asphalt but for some reason on many roads here in Turkey there is gravel “glued” on top of the nice asphalt and this road was very worn so that the gravel had come loose, making the ride very bumpy. So I started to regret not stopping earlier when I realized I wouldn’t make it to Kas while it was light out. But I kept going and arrived in a dark Kas later in the evening completely exhausted after 110 km.
I stayed another day in Kas resting up after a rough day before and got back on the bike the day after for a ride to Finike. I knew the day would start with a big uphill, but I was prepared for it and after about 10 km of constant uphill there were a few straights and downhill’s among more uphill’s. But the ride was beautiful with mountain peaks covered with snow cycling through valleys with small villages among the hills.
Later the road started going down again towards the sea and the city of Demre. The view of the city from the hills was particular since most of the area is covered with greenhouses. I made one wrong turn in the city trying to take a short cut that ended up being a wet muddy terrible road, and worst of all after I cycled the road for a while I came to where they were working on the road only to be told that I had to turn around and cycle back through the mud again.
The last bit towards Finike was a great road along the sea side, and when sitting down for lunch on the beach the sun was nice and warm and for the first time in a while I didn’t need to get back on the bike to stay warm. I had looked up a nice and cheap hotel in Finike where I planned to stay the night. When I arrived the nice man at the hotel then offered me a very nice and big apartment instead of a small hotel room for the same price. So now I’m living comfortably in a three room apartment with a nice kitchen, two balconies with a view of the sea, a huge bed, three TV’s, Wi-Fi and for some reason three bathrooms!! And the best thing: breakfast buffet =)

2 kommentarer:

  1. Hey Samuel

    How is it going ? You seem to jump from one big hotel to another. I might go to Turkey too but first I will spend some time on Crete. I whish you all the best.

    Julius

    SvaraRadera
  2. Hey Julius.
    I decided to stay at a few places along the Turkish cost instead of going straight to Cyprus and rent a place there as was the original plan. And now when there are almost no tourists here it is easy to find accommodation really cheap.
    Take care my friend

    SvaraRadera